A Reading List


When I was younger I loved to read. I still do love to read, but I find it very difficult to get started. Finding a book that will excite me from start to finish is difficult, mainly because I'm pretty impatient. If a book hasn't grasped me early on in its story, I will without a doubt lose the motivation to carry on. To make matters worse I HATE not finishing a book, especially if I've made it halfway, so then I'm just stuck reading a book I'm not interested in so I can read a book I've got my eye on and not feel guilty about it. Not the best way to go about it really.

When I was a kid, I remember loving Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series. Those books are amazing and I would 100% recommend, especially to pre-teens. I would refuse to put these bad boys down. In fact I vividly remember one car journey reading Battle of the Labyrinth, and just refusing to accept the fact I was feeling rather car sick and just kept powering through the nausea. That right there is what you call a keen bean ;)


*Yes 'Sea of Monsters' is missing but I couldn't find it OK

The next series that captured my heart would have to be these beauties. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Many tears were shed, many tears. 'Mockingjay' made me cry just with the fact I had finished the series, now that's LOVE. If anyone is wondering, yes the books are 100% better than the movies. 100%, not up for debate.



Since then though, I'm struggling to remember a book I enjoyed just as much. I've dipped in and out of genres, trying new things, I think my favourite would be Dystopian. For anyone dabbling in this genre I would definitely recommend 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline. I read this book at the start of the year and honestly it's amazing. 80's nostalgia at its best, no I was not alive in the 80s but I can appreciate a lot of the decade's movies and music that this book pays tribute to. The movie is coming out next year with one of my favourite actors, Simon Pegg. Safe to say I'm pretty excited about that.


The main reason my struggle to find the right book has come back to me recently is because I'm going to need a LOT for travelling. I'm going to have 9 hour train journeys in the middle of Vietnam, good reading material is crucial. Plus hours on end in a hammock on a beautiful Thai beach while I fail to try tan my porcelain skin.  I NEED BOOKS. I have taken advice from both Booktube and Goodreads and kind of come up with a list:

1) The Circle - Dave Eggers
2) Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
3) Scythe - Neil Shusterman
4) The Martian - Andy Weir
5) The Zookeeper's Wife - Diane Ackerman
6) All The Bright Places - Jennifer Nixon
7) Cinder (The Luna Chronicles) - Marissa Meyer
8) Unwind - Neil Shusterman

Side note: Goodreads is amazing for anyone trying to improve the amount they read, you can set yourself a yearly reading challenge and keep track of everything you have read, want to read, currently reading etc. You can also research new books, follow people and write reviews. Lastly, new books will be suggested to you based on the previous books you have enjoyed, which is incredibly helpful. Watching your want to read list get ticked off one by one and becoming your read this year list is extremely motivating.

Well that's all for now, get reading people
Lon x

p.s. any suggestions would be amazing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Ways to Save the Planet - Plastic Consumption

Thai Islands: Koh Samui

The Amazing Eden Project